Saturday, February 26, 2005

"Get it together, grouch!"

-Dave Chappelle

Death Cab For Cutie, Photobooth{link}

The other day a friend emailed and asked for my favourite three songs ever, I, of course, gave her six, but in the ensuing days, I have been trying to piece together what my favourites are, and it's really, really difficult. B/c some songs I can only listen to when I'm happy, some when I'm sad, some when I'm introspective, some when I'm trying to sleep. How do I judge it? Do I base it on repeated listening? Is it fair to count Godspeed You Black Emperor! songs as they are in excess of twenty minutes? Finally, I just settled on the fact, that I really, really love this song.

It kicks off with casioesque drumbeat, and then turns into one of those sad sing-a-long type of songs that Death Cab do oh so well. I remember reading somewhere (NME?) that Ben Gibbard was a big fan of a few short story authors, and I seem to remember it mentioning Raymond Carver by name. Anyways, the lines "I remember when the days were long and the nights when the living room were on the lawn" reminds me so much of a particular Carver story whose name escapes me but has a recently left husband piling all his furniture on the lawn.

I know I'm not supposed to like Death Cab anymore, b/c they're all popular and everything, but the only way I could dislike them were if they were to do a re-make of "La-la".

American Football, Honestly? {link}

"Honestly I can't remember all my teenage feelings,
and their meanings,
they seem too see-through
to be true"

And so begins an amazing song by American Football, who just might be my favourite band to put out just one album. I really, really wanted to post "Never Meant" which is just the greatest break-up song ever recorded, but could not find it anywhere. But this one is good, too. I feel like this a lot, I'll go back through old journals, yearbooks, notes and think to myself "Did I really say this? Do this? Feel this?" It feels so weird, like you were somehow more connected to your own feelings back then, but are now cut off from them. I don't know, I got nothin' tonight. Just download it, and enjoy it. Then pick up the album. There's really no reason not to.

1 comment:

Caley said...

Well, if Death Cab were involved in Cal's "la-la" in the bathroom, I can't say I'd look upon it favourably, either.